home > forum

Mom will not go out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Retirement Community Forum -> General Assisted Living Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boomerkid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: Mom will not go out Reply with quote

Since i have personal experience with this issue i thought other people might appreciate this question and expert opinion from Long Island Newsday. The questioner asks what he can do about his mother, who won't go out of her home and who suffers from mild dementia. The expert recommends searching out 3 good assisted living facilities and showing them to the mother. Above all, being patient, it might take a while for the mother to see the light. It's a nice little article http://www.newsday.com/services/newspaper/printedition/saturday/act2/ny-expert6068509mar14,0,547193.story
ChalmersD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's a very sad issue. I know an old woman from my block who also suffers from dementia and it's very hard to come along with her because she developed a kind of paranoia and sometimes shouts madly at everyone on the street from her window. The good thing is that she goes out but on the other hand she isn't able to act socially anymore and lives in her own world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Retirement Community Forum -> General Assisted Living Advice All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: