home > forum

Will Medicare pay for respite care

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Retirement Community Forum -> Assisted Living Financial Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myturnnow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Will Medicare pay for respite care Reply with quote

My husband and I take care of his mother in our home. Sometimes we both have to go on a business trip or vacation together. Ma definitely could qualify for a medicaid paid berth in a nursing home. Will the government pick up the tab for respite care when we need to have her spend a few days in a nursing home?
sandwichtime

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally respite care costs won't get picked up - penny-wise but pound-foolish. Some states will though, but generally for lower income folks. Check out www.Medicare.gov for more.
BarrieByrnes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Will Medicare pay for respite care Reply with quote

I think, that since medicaid is run by the individual states, you should call their office and see what your local law is on that. I would think that it would be cheaper for them to give you an allowance, than to pay round-the-clock caregivers/nurses.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Home Care Miami
" Every morning you have two choices... continue your sleep with dreaming or wake up and chase your dreams. Choice is yours."
JudithScott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"it would be cheaper for them to give you an allowance, than to pay round-the-clock caregivers/nurses" i am agree with BarrieByrnes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Retirement Community Forum -> Assisted Living Financial Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: