home > forum

My mother-in-law has Alzheimers-I don't want to be caregive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Retirement Community Forum -> General Assisted Living Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandwichtime

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: My mother-in-law has Alzheimers-I don't want to be caregive Reply with quote

Ran across an article in http://www.salon.com/mwt/col/tenn/2008/11/12/alzheimers/index.html Salon that expresses so well what I know a lot of people go through with eldercare. A relative, whether it's dad or a mother-in-law, gets Alzheimers. Everybody in the family talks about how bad that is. But after the initial response, there are no batters at the plate after the 2nd inning. Enter the person who is the closest, or the guiltiest. Then the trouble starts. One person can't possibly give an Alzheimers patient all the care and attention they need. They will burn out, and fast. The siblings who call once a week and come down for 24 hours once a year, think they are doing well, but the reality is they are just dabbling while the primary caregiver is burning up. It is tragic what can happen to a family when this goes on.

Read this article, it could prevent a lot of problems in your family.
ruready

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right about that. In our family the role of primary giver went to one sister after dad moved to her town. Now, 7 months later, she is resentful of the rest of us because she doesnt think we are pulling our share. She is right, somehow we need to work out a schedule that will give her a break and be fair to the rest of us. Good tips here for helping us
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Retirement Community Forum -> General Assisted Living Advice All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: